Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bonjour

My husband, Daniel,  and I visited Paris on our honeymoon and I fell in love.  With Paris.  It lived up to every 1950's romantic movie cliché I had ever hoped it would.  I have been dying to go back ever since, so we have made a crazy plan to live in France part of the summer next year.  By plan I mean we have decided we want to do this and thus end of planning.  There is one small flaw in our rock solid plan.  I don't speak French, Daniel speaks it pretty well.  But as for me,  my four classes of college and high school Spanish did not do me an ounce of good when I was trying to order a sandwich at the cafes.  So I am trying to learn french, at least well enough to buy groceries and spend way too much on shoes while I am there.



So how to achieve this goal of learning French in a year and half:
1.     Thanks to Santa Claus last year I have in my possession Rosetta Stone French Levels 1, 2 & 3.  And have already been hammering away at them and have vowed to work half an hour to an hour  "frenching" four days a week.
2.    Thanks to Santa Calus this year I now possess Mastering the Art of French Cooking  By Julia Childs.  Is this helpful, who knows but anyone who cooks with that much butter in the name of France is a friend of mine.
3.    You my friends, you my friends who know french, you my friends who forwarded this to someone who knows french.  Please help me out.  This blog will hopefully be more than me just bitching about how hard it is to learn french but a chance to start a bit of French correspondence.
4.    Go to France, everyone says emersion is the best plan.

So help a fille (girl) out.  Chances are at first there will only be a few french words and phrases sprinkled through out.  Hopefully we will progress to actual conversations.  So in payment of your usage corrections and sharing of words I should know, I will keep you up to date on our trip planning and my rants on why I hate 44 ( it is really tricky to say and the stupid program beeps at me every time).  Together we can make my dream of buying shampoo unsupervised by my husband a reality.

1 comment: