Friday, June 8, 2012

Tous ne sont pas Gagnants


(Not all are winners)

So I had my first true crash and burn of speaking frenching two days ago.  I had assisted in the purchase of buying some cheese "et une petite coupe de ca, s'il vous plaît" (and a small cut of this, please) the day before in an open air market and was feeling pretty good.  So when we ran out for a sandwich and a coffee around 5 I had all intentions of ordering my own sandwich and was feeling up for ordering a craft of water for us as well.  This confidence soon quickly fell away as I made my order and was greeted with a confused look and asked if I had order a coffee, which I did not order.  I did not give up and requested my order for water, less assured, still in french. Sadly we did several rounds of this, finally I gave up Daniel ordered, didn't work, I ordered in english and pointed to the menue.  Turns out he didn't catch the "The Croque Madame"  (Miss Sandwich) which is why we kept going around in circles about the water.  It was about the only sandwich I eat and the only thing I could say on our last trip, so I was particularly disappointed in failing at this word.  This disaster of a ordering shattered my delicate pride and I may or may not have sniffled and dabbed an eye just a bit before my sandwich showed up.  

I tried to remind myself I can barely understand the Chinese take out lady when I order orange chicken and I am sure her english is much better than my french.  It was also coffee time, not sandwich time and "cafe de cream" and "croque madam" do pace themselves similarly.  I ordered our cafes after we were done eating and told a women at the louvre that the bathrooms were closed, ok I might have only said "closed" but I got the message across. So I did rebound and have not booked my ticket home yet.  Maybe I should just remember to keep Rosetta Stoning.

Side Note: La Croque Madame is a ham and cheese sandwich with a fried egg on top and very taste. Le Croque Monsieur omits the fried egg.  Picture next time, I am sure that will be in like two days.

But on to the fun of Paris:

Pink Beans!

More open air shopping and despite that we were only picking up lunch how could I pass up pink beans? So I carried around a pound of pink beans in my bag for a couple of hours.  

We are starting to learn to deal with the hour of beautiful skies and then hour of pounding rain and have learned to run outside for these short moments of pretty, one of these such moments were a  picnic in the park.


Cherries, cheese, and bread, Salami of the mountains is in the white paper, were bought from our second open air market, Paris seems to have lots of them.  Daniel and I have decided that is is our favorite way to eat lunch so most are spent in a park with a simliar menu.


This is the cute picture took of me while we had our lunch in the Jardin de Plants (The Plants Garden)

These are the two picture took of me before he took the cute picture.  I will call them a Study of Katie in Motion.



For a better understanding of buying your cheese from an open air french market Daniel took this picture.  I was very intruded by the cheese that looked like a petrified rock in front but was not brave enough to order.  We got the white cheese double stacked in the back.


Next time French Malls and how they combine all the horrible things about american malls and dystopian disaster movies. 

But first: Smart car truck ... kinda... I mean it has that thing that resembles a cover truck bed...sort of... I mean I don't drive it.








No comments:

Post a Comment