Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Louvre et Barres de Plongée

(The Louvre and Dive Bars)
you know, keeping a well rounded trip

Weather has not been what the travel guides have promised and it has been a bit cold and rainy, with promises to continue on this state for a few days.  But as my dear friend, Angela, put it so poetically "Champagne Problems." Well put, but as I only brought one pair of jeans and no actually warm sweaters I would love to stop dressing like my 3 year old self dressed me. If only she had packed the goulashes.  

Back to the fun stuff.
It is amazing how much Paris shuts down on Sunday, no not the tourist stuff, alive and well.  But the stores and markets are mostly shuttered up and we both compared it to walking through a deserted post apoplectic town, though less zombies.  So where was everyone? Well if it is the first Sunday of the month they are the Louvre, because it is free along with most other Paris Museums.  But don't worry they are all at the Louvre.  How do I know this?  Because we were at the louve, for what must have been one of quickest trips to the Louvre anyone has taken.  Tourist Hell, so may people all of them stopping at the top of the staircase to consult their maps looking for the Mona Lisa.  So we are planning on going back when it is slightly less touristie hell, still the Louvre.  But I still took the time to get a couple of pictures.




In looking back at the pictures I appatent I have at things for ceilings.  Which means I was the super obnoxious tourist stopped in the middle of the room staring up. C'est la vie. 

The weather continued to be crap, so instead of taking our normal walk down the Seine after dinner Daniel took me to a dive bar.  We could have stopped by the nice college, polished wood bar, lonely french guy playing a guitar, but no Daniel had a suggestion from Reddit's favorite bars. So we went to this one.


If it doesn't seem that divey, the bars across the door and windows are classing it up.  When we walked by it the first time I asked who stole their furniture.  They did have a excellent high gravity beer selection, at least I think so. Daniel had a an extensive conversation with the bartender while I stode looking adorable and clueless.  I am barely following buying lettuces let alone fermentation counts.  
Beers in-hand Daniel was selling on the delightfully diviness of the bar until I noticed their was a lack of toilet seat in the women's bathroom. Not delightful just divey, though good beer.  Return visit still a question.

Side Note: Paris waiters seem to have stealth capability in sneaking up on me when I am right in the middle of trying to practice my ordering in a cafe.  At one point I was feeling very confident about my ordering, then without warning WAITER.  And instead of ordering my Supreme Crepe avec champignons (with mushrooms) a word I actually know, I ordered it with campagne.  The waitress was kind and only half looked like I was an idiot before she verified "mushrooms" in excellent english.  You know "champagne problems".  This has happen to me enough times I am starting to think it is a game they play on the tourist, or maybe the rest of their customers are not devoting all of their attention on practicing "I want coffee" to actually look to see someone approach them.  I plan to stick with the evil waiter theory.

Last night the weather broke long enough for a stroll down the Seine last.  And I realized this post was a little picture light and I know that is what you are here for so... Paris at Night:

Notre Dame


The pad lock bridge. I hope to join this strange parisian tradition. 


Notre Dame backside.  

Saw a bunch of kids moon a river boat tour, sadly was not able to photograph. Laughed considerably though.

Bon Soir. 








No comments:

Post a Comment