Saturday, June 23, 2012

Grindelwald, Switzerland

Daniel’s parent’s came in for a visit spending about two days with us in Paris before the four of us headed out to Grindelwald, Switzerland.  I realize I have fallen behind in some of the things we have been up to but I figured it was a good idea to post our most reason days and do the catch up posts if I can get around to it. 

Switzerland!!!

Daniel and I went to Grindelwald for the second part of our honeymoon and Bonnie and David are very much in love with this little tourist snow town so we were happy to join them there for four days. I was happy for a chance to speak English to everyone for a few days, despite the local language being German everyone speaks English.




Grindelwald is a beautiful town in the Swiss Alps and we had amazing view of the mountains from our hotel balcony.

While the town isn’t covered in snow there seem to be endless hiking trails, which is largely what we filled our time with.  The first day we went to the Jungfrau, billed as the top of Europe.  And has plenty of snow year round.



We hiked for about 45 minutes on top of the glacier to a lunch hut in the middle of no where.  It started to snow on the way back and I got my first experience with a white out.  Hiking in the clouds sounds a little neater than it actually is (clouds are very cold) but a neat experience still. 



Hello from the Top of Europe! 
(I know realize I look like a frog in this picture)



 Day 2

The next day we decided to not in a winder wonderland but in grass.


Though the mountains are the background to every hike.



Bonnie and David decided to twin it up for the day, much to Daniel and I’s delight. Aren’t they adorable.



We experienced a little Swiss wildlife on our hike up to lunch, Sheep!


This guy was not particularly impressed with us.  
We got caught in a pretty sizeable storm on the way down from our lunch hut so not much in the way of pictures from the way down.  I did get some good use of my rain jacket David got me for Christmas.


Day 3




This day had a very “Sound of Music” feeling to it as we hiked from one field of wildflowers to another.




Day 4

More Snow!




We were told the hike we were going to take was closed due to snow, but that didn’t stop us.  Well it did when we figured out we had missed our turn and had taken a different trail. Daniel and David still aren’t a hundred percent sure where we ended up going.



Still had a beautiful view for our picnic lunch.



Here is my Swiss candy bar in front of a Swiss waterfall.  This is super tasty and will be seeing if I can get it in Paris ... or the states 



I even made friends with a cow, who seemed to be there just to entertain the tourist hiking.  When I was being too timid a friendly Russian insisted if I just stuck my hand out the cow would lick it, which she did.  Imagine a gigantic cat’s tongue that is what a cow’s tongue feels like.  



Everyone wants to pet a cow.

The euro cup (soccer) has been going on for the past few weeks and last night we enjoyed the cultural event of watching Germany beat Greece in the hotel bar filled with guest and workers cheering for Germany.  After the game we chatted with a fellow from Belgium.

We are already headed/ back to Paris by this point well rested slash a little tired from our hiking trip.



At the end of our finally hike I decided it was a good time to make sure I got a frolic through the wildflowers. Daniel has a whole series of this “frolic” which is probably more accurately described as a stumbled wading.  

Lebewohl!



No comments:

Post a Comment